[pct-l] Sierra food strategy

William Canavan wecanavan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:15:59 CST 2016

Hi Kurt
Hiking from Kennedy Meadows to VVR is a LONG stretch and it means you
probably won't have time/calories to climb Whitney.  It will be worth your
time and peace of mind to dive off into Lone Pine, or Bishop, or
Independence.  I did KM to VVR in 2015 in 12 days with a trip up Whitney
and ran out of food a day shy of VVR.
Little Brown

Hello,

I've been reading Yogi's book and basing my preparations on its guidance.
She mentions considering hiking from Kennedy Meadows to Vermillion Valley
Resort without a resupply, and seeing that the resupply towns require
considerable hitch hiking, I was planning on hiking straight through. Also,
none of the resupply points seem favorable; it's either resupply really
early on or super late on this section. But I'm doubting I can fit the
required calories into my bear canister. I was assuming 4000 calories per
day for 11 days. I know there's a good chance I'll burn more, and that is a
considerable length of time without a resupply. Does anyone have any
suggestions for packing the canister or other recommendations?

Thanks,

Kurt