[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 13

Marvin and Shirley Barg barg at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 14 17:09:06 CST 2016

Kurt
I hiked from KM to VVR including a side trip to the summit of Whitney. It
took 14 days. At a body weight of 200 lbs, I could have used more food, but
overall, I thought it went well.  I was apprehensive about hiking the 180
mile High Sierra section without a break and with a UL pack. But, I made it
and would do it again. Without the side trip to Whitney, I can see myself
making it to Mammoth in 12 or so days and avoiding the costly resupply which
is VVR.

As for the bear canister, I repackaged all food items (of course calorie
dense) into light weight plastic bags and probably sat on the lid to squish
most of it in. I stuffed the remainder into a small fanny pack and used this
food up for the first few days out until official bear canister territory.
Finally, remember that the first day's food supply doesn't need to be
packed, just carried. This being the case, I usually 'camel' up with food on
day 1, since I know there will be calorie deficits in the days ahead.

Grampa Kilt

Message: 4