[pct-l] advice on california section hike

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 00:12:46 CST 2016

Temperature-wise, it’s more a less of a wash. Toward the south:
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/mojave/california/united-states/usca0715

Climate Mojave - California°C <http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/mojave/california/united-states/usca0715#> | °F <http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/mojave/california/united-states/usca0715#>
 	Jan	Feb	Mar	Apr	May	Jun
Average high in °F:	57	60	66	71	80	89
Average low in °F:	33	37	41	46	56	64
Av. precipitation in inch:	1.18	1.54	0.98	0.24	0.12	0.04
Days with precipitation:	-	-	-	-	-	-
Hours of sunshine:	-	-	-	-	-	-
 	Jul	Aug	Sep	Oct	Nov	Dec
Average high in °F:	96	96	88	78	65	56
Average low in °F:	70	67	61	50	40	33
Av. precipitation in inch:	0.31	0.28	0.16	0.35	0.59	0.91
Days with precipitation:	-	-	-	-	-	-
Hours of sunshine:	-	-	-	-	-	-

In the north:
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/shasta/california/united-states/usca1045
Climate Shasta - California°C <http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/shasta/california/united-states/usca1045#> | °F <http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/shasta/california/united-states/usca1045#>
 	Jan	Feb	Mar	Apr	May	Jun
Average high in °F:	53	57	62	69	78	87
Average low in °F:	40	41	44	47	55	62
Av. precipitation in inch:	10.83	11.34	9.49	4.76	3.23	1.38
Days with precipitation:	-	-	-	-	-	-
Hours of sunshine:	-	-	-	-	-	-
 	Jul	Aug	Sep	Oct	Nov	Dec
Average high in °F:	95	94	88	76	60	53
Average low in °F:	68	67	62	54	45	40
Av. precipitation in inch:	0.2	0.24	0.98	3.66	7.64	12.05
Days with precipitation:	-	-	-	-	-	-
Hours of sunshine:	-	-	-	-	-	-

As the extremes geographically, Campo and Ashland are slightly less representative of where you’ll be spending your time. Campo is slightly cooler in June than September. Perhaps more importantly, very little rain will fall in the desert during that timespan so water will be more available early summer than late summer. A good reason to go north.

You’ll hit the Sierra at similar enough times in either direction so I’d guess snow would be a wash, too. (I’m not sure what the Trinity Alps are like in June, however.)

FWIW, in 2015, I met a few people that tried to start in campo mid-to-late May and skipped ahead due to the heat. Most with continuous footpaths started earlier. That’s a sample size of one and is clearly biased by my own schedule.

If you go SOBO, you’ll cross paths with most NOBOs. If you NOBO, you’ll be traveling well outside the herd. Perhaps the importance of the “wilderness” vs “social” experience should be your deciding factor?

Cheers,
Armstrong