[pct-l] JMT Bear Cans

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:08:56 CST 2016

Tyler is right, just SEKI and Yosemite.  The National Forest Wilderness
areas in between those National Parks are now allowing the use of Ursacks.
We were given permits last summer for most of the JMT based on using an
Ursack, not a can like in the past.  They used to require a can for the
full length of the trail, now, only the National Parks.  But the logistics
of changing your bear can for an Ursack after SEKI and then back again
later in Yosemite (if going northbound) makes it pointless for a thru
hiker.  Just figure a bear can for the whole of the JMT, unless, like us
last summer, you're only going into the wilderness areas.

Shroomer