[pct-l] Kennedy M to Lone Pine

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Mon Aug 8 01:15:34 CDT 2016

Hi Karen,

I did exactly that hike a few years ago.  Kennedy Meadows is hard to get to as there is no public transport and only limited traffic.  It is definitely do-able though, and recommended :-)

I drove to Kennedy Meadow and talked nicely to the store owner.  He was quite happy for me to leave my car right in front of the store for three or four days.  There are possibly other places in Kennedy Meadows as well.  I hiked the PCt as far as Trail Pass, then off the PCT down to Horseshoe Meadows.  It was slowish hitch from there down to Lone Pine.  Maybe an hour at roadside.  Would probably have been faster to go the trailhead parking lot and approach drivers directly, assuming you have winning smile.  I guess that also gives you the advantage of being able to choose who you approach, which could a consideration for a woman travelling solo.  At Lone Pine I had good luck in hitching back down Hwy 395 to the Kennedy Meadows turnoff (I forget the road name).  I recommend setting up your pack and holding out your thumb at the gas station exit on the south end of town.  That way you get seen by people putting out of the gas station rather than by those already doing 65 MPH on the highway.

The hardest hitch was from Hwy 395 back up to Kennedy Meadows.  It was a long wait in hot sun for me.  I had actually cached some bottled water in the scrub when I drove up the earlier and I was glad of it.  Eventually you’ll get a hiker or a fisherman.

Have fun

Denis Stanton
“Goodwill"