[pct-l] Pack weight

MARY E DAVISON pastormaryd at msn.com
Tue Apr 19 14:45:11 CDT 2016

I am a 74 year old woman. I would not want my pack to weigh 28 lb before I added water. I assume you are much younger hiker dude. That is an entirely different matter. We do tend to talk in terms of base weight (everything except food, water and fuel)

Reinhold says you go lighter for speed and heavier for comfort. Not necessarily. Comfort on trail is a consideration as well as comfort in camp. The higher the weight the less comfort the trail. I think Warner Springs Monte did the PCT once carrying 6 lbs. I can't go that light as old bones need a little more comfort in camp. Quite a few long distance hikers carry in the 12-16 lb base weight range. When I started out doing this sort of thing I could carry a heavy pack - probably 45-50 lbs as a group leader. I can't do that now nor would I want to. Going lighter is a learned skill.

You will learn what works for you. You probably CAN carry what you have. But you will learn if you WANT to.

Medicare Pastor

Sent from my iPhone