[pct-l] Umbrella or Hat in SoCal.....the solution

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 01:04:37 CDT 2016

JMT Reinhold writes: ......... far more sturdy than an umbrella.  I think that may be Switchback in that picture. Switchback was an Air Force Base Commander during the Iraq War.  Boy, I can't get over how good looking Switchback was in his younger days.
Switchback replies: This is true.  I recognize this picture (http://imgur.com/aJGLZTh) of JMT in his younger days on the PCT or Vietnam.  It would not be me.  I would have a private view room and good per diem.  As far as the sun goes, I use SunPrecautions clothing and the GossamerGear 8.5-ounce umbrella with my exclusive 2-ounce hands-free umbrella holder.  Nice.  Very nice.  What is unusual is that the SunPrecautions ventilated shirt, pants and hat with cross over drape are good in hot weather and cooler weather too.  Weird.  BTW, use the uber light plastic sleeve that comes with the umbrella on the trail to store the umbrella in for a little more protection.  I put duck tape at each end for extra strength.