[pct-l] Costco Trekking Poles

Marcus pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Wed Apr 13 15:54:32 CDT 2016

The Costco poles, in case anybody is wondering, are the Cascade Mountain
Tech Quick Lock Carbon Fiber poles.  A few years ago, Costco used to
sell the Twist Lock version, instead.  The twist lock version has
anti-shock, the flick lock doesn't.  The manufacturer (Cascade Mountain
Tech) sells the poles from their site for $48 for flick lock, and $40
for twist lock.  If I recall, they're a bit under $30 at Costco.

I used the old twist lock version for a JMT thru-hike, and they did
fine.  After about 150 miles, I heard a snap inside one of them, and can
now hear a bit of plastic slide around if I turn it upside down.  But,
they still seem to work fine.

That said, I'll probably be taking a pair of Black Diamond Distance
Carbon Z poles on my PCT hike this year, and leaving the Costco poles at
home.  They were $60 at an REI garage sale, and are about 7 or 8oz
lighter per pair than the Costco poles.  I miss the anti-shock, but I'm
expecting the weight to be worth it.

 -=Marcus