[pct-l] Current status of Carson Pass backcountry

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Apr 11 11:32:46 CDT 2016

Mountain Education just pulled in from our last Snow Basics Course of the season enjoyed in the Carson Pass backcountry!

Despite horrible weather forecasts, we enjoyed snowshoeing just a few miles off the highway up to a pleasant lake to pitch our tents and get water from the frozen lase before it started snowing. Compared to some of our other SBC trips this season, we didn’t get any wind on this one! Saturday was spent in-tent talking about every wilderness skill and concept imaginable while it snowed 18 inches outside. Sunday was the main event, skills-wise, the Self-Arrest Clinic and we finished it just in time before it started raining on our way out.

We didn’t get a chance to dig an avalanche pit on this trip, so I can’t tell you how deep the snowpack was, but all creeks are covered and lake solidly frozen at 9,000 feet!

It still looks like a “normal” amount of snowpack out there and it’s not going anywhere right away with nights below freezing (no thaw, yet) and storms still cycling onto the west coast!

Next week we will be headed toward Forester to cut the steps across the infamous chute, so when we get back, I’ll post on those trail conditions for you....

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential education and risk awareness training."