[pct-l] Umbrella or hat in SoCal?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:01:20 CDT 2016

I've used the umbrella on 3 US thru hikes and the Camino in Spain and I
don't set  out without it.  In real heat it provides a much cooler walking
shadow than a hat of any kind and I learned how to keep it up in high winds
just fine in most cases.  In gusty wind with frequent directional changes,
I give up on it, but in very strong steady winds I've used it no
problem.

Connect a small caribiner to the loop at the bottom of the handle and clip
it off to your waist belt angling the umbrella left or right into the
wind.  Use the cord lock to allow it to ride high or smashed down on your
head if need be in strong winds.

At 13,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies in a furious hailstorm, it was
plastered all around me as I ran for shelter down slope almost becoming
another piece of clothing.  In light rains in WA and on the AT and Spain,
it was the first and quickest protection I had and was so pleasant to use.
There's a reason so many great hikers carry them.  Some don't bring a
raincoat at all, just relying on the umbrella which is also part of many
people's sleeping systems.

Have a wonderful summer

Shroomer