[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 100, Issue 3 Born to Run and Plantar faciitis

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Apr 2 14:02:16 CDT 2016

> Born to Run concepts changed my pathetic foot 'life'. I drank the zero drop koolaid and will never look back. If I am able to complete a thru hike of the PCT it will be in no small part due to the genesis of zero drop footwear. I myself use the Altra Lone Peaks. Grampa Kilt<

Running is not hiking. The mechanics of a walking stride are very
different than a running stride, and the stress on your feet from
carrying a pack is very different than the stress from running. And I
say this as both a thru hiker and an ultra marathoner.

I think the main risk of a minimalist shoe on the trail is stone
bruises. Once you get a little bit bruised, a thru hike doesn't really
give you a chance to heal, unless you take as long time  off. I ended
up getting some rigid plastic inserts for my forefoot that I put under
the foot bed to protect my metatarsals in my running shoes I used for
hiking - they caused their own problems, but they let my feet heal.

HYOH