[pct-l] Delorme Inrach SE experience

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 9 19:56:02 CDT 2015

To provide a way for S&R to recover my remains, I bought a Delorme Inreach SE.   It's a satellite
communicator that you can use (laboriously I think) to send help messages and receive responses, but it
is more frequently useful as a way of updating interested parties about one's backcountry progress.

You can set it up to send position updates every ten minutes or every four hours or various intermediate
frequencies.     This service starts at $12.95/month plus ten cents per position sent.     There are

other higher monthly plans with free positions.

Besides the dime per call, there's a cost in energy.     I started a 6 day trip fully charged, set it to
post track points every hour, and used up 16% of the charge in one day.     So then I went to sending
individual track points on demand, except when I went up Whitney from Crabree Meadows.      Continuous tracking is easier to follow than isolated points.    After six days, I had 25% left - I wanted to have
some left over in case I had an actual emergency that I needed to communicate.

If you want to see how the tracking works, and whether it might work for you, you can look at my data at

https://share.delorme.com/DavidHough

and decide if it's intuitive enough for your interested parties.