[pct-l] Planning for PCT 2016

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Oct 7 15:18:02 CDT 2015

> Did you find that over-snow navigation was a piece of cake above timberline,
> say through the sierra south of Sonora Pass, but below timberline north of
> there was pretty difficult since you can't see past the trees in front of
> you?

Yes, that, and the terrain south of i-80 is more extreme, and as long
as you manage to enter the correct drainage, and go over the correct
pass when moving to another drainage, it was pretty hard to get lost.
Maybe you were a few hundred meters left or right of the tread, buried
under a meter or more of snow, but more often than not, when I got
below snow line, the trail tread would poke out.

Nowadays, with accurate, lightweight GPS units, navigating north of
I-80 would not be much of an issue.