[pct-l] Ursaks and mice

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 14:35:52 CST 2015

For what it's worth, in that 15 mile stretch there are designated campsites (free reservation required, available in Stehekin). All of these have some form of bear setup. In the case of a box, you're done. If you choose one with a bear wire, you will need some line. (They should be able to tell you what is at each campsite.)

My Zpacks food bag got some deep gouges from a rodent at Onyx Summit. (I repaired this with tape to keep rain/dew out the few nights I did hang it.) In northern Washington, mice were everywhere. I tended to do lazy hangs (clip the bag around a branch) and that was enough. One night I slept with it an ended with a mouse turd sitting on top of the bag, but no new signs of damage. I did not use an OpSak.

Armstrong