[pct-l] current Carson Pass trail conditions

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon May 25 19:06:05 CDT 2015

Much to our surprise, the kind of snow present around mile 1075 (to be exact, on the northern aspect of Round Top Mountain at Winnemucca Lake east of 1075) was nothing like what Mountain Education experienced recently in the southern sierra!

This is good news for those north-bound!

There is consolidated snow (not powder snow) present around Carson Pass! This means no wallowing through powder snow and we were quite able to freely walk on top of the snow pack without traction aides, but using good boots with deep lug soles.

The nights were hovering around 34-35 degrees with snow showers/rain all day. Weather predictions for the area are expected to improve to summer-like temperatures after this Thursday, May 28th with thunderstorms and possible snow between now and then.

Postholing is ever-present, though, after 10:00-12:00 noon!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential education and risk awareness training."