[pct-l] Fires

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:28:33 CDT 2015

I made a comment on their blog asking them to reconsider having fires, and
got this reply pretty quickly:

"We agree and have been opposed to fires on the trail, but this one was
created by a few others at the campground. A water source and plenty of
trowels were on hand, and this was in a car-accessible campground in a
designated fire pit. It was safe as it could be- while still having a fire.
It was also during some wet evening weather."

Since they reaccessed the trail at Upper Shake CG and hiked past it to the
next, they must be referring to Sawmill CG. Didn't think that had a water
source...?

I know for myself I wouldn't be starting one short of hypothermia. I also
know when I did Tehachapi to Echo Lake in 2013, there was lots of
fire-starting going on, and I frequently asked people to reconsider making
fires. At best, I was ignored. At worst, told to f*** off. But it sounds
like there is some very unclear information among hikers about what's okay
fire-wise and what isn't. It would really help if there were a
clearly-communicated set of standards. They thought what they were doing
was OK, and many others wouldn't. Maybe fire safety education should be a
much more stringent part of the permitting process? Certainly worth
discussing.