[pct-l] campfires

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 15:19:26 CDT 2015

My opinion.  No fires. It does not matter what is allowed. It's just too dangerous.  And if you look at the fire permit video, it states that you need an area 10 ft in diameter,a water source to drown the fire ,a shovel. Can anyone who has done the trail remember any spot on the trail that provided those requirements?  Impossible. Also the chamise contains a resin which makes it highly flammable. Chamise is a major component of the southern calif chaparral.
Every section of the trail from the border to hwy 58 contained a huge ugly burn. It impacts the shade and the water sources. Just as thruhikers learn to leave their heavy pack at home they can learn to leave the fantasy of gathering around a campfire back in past and learn to care for the trail.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone