[pct-l] Southern Sierra Trail Conditions, KM-HM

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Sun May 3 18:48:42 CDT 2015

Mountain Education just returned from our annual, north-bound, Snow Advanced Course (SAC) from Kennedy Meadows (south) to Horseshoe Meadows. I wanted to bring to everyone some quick updates on trail conditions and related things as soon as I got in (last night), so here is the first installment:

The Mt. Williamson Motel:

The owner, Cris,“Strider,” helped me position the Mountain Education Jeep up at the Onion Valley trailhead and give me a ride back to her “Basecamp” at the “Willi” Motel. The Motel is very hiker-friendly and we should bring her fine establishment all the business we can to give her a good summer.

Eastside Sierra Shuttle:

Paul Fretheim, Eastside Sierra Shuttle, 760-878-8047, helped shuttle myself and some of our students to various eastside destinations while we were in the vicinity! He was always available, since late April and early May are not very busy for him, and charges $2/mile. He was very knowledgeable of the area and had all the current trail info in his head, garnished from all those he had recently picked up from KM, HM, or OV trailheads. A good guy who is pretty booked already for the coming summer months, but try his phone anyway to see if he can fit your needs in!

Horseshoe Meadows Road, Lone Pine:

Just opened two days ago, on Friday! No water to the faucets in the campground yet, though. A few campers were already there and two cars were already parked at the Cottonwood Pass trailhead.

The DeLaCour Ranch & rental cabins:

This nice, little lavender farm and fisherman’s retreat at the base of the Horseshoe Meadows Road is open for business for another summer of being available to hikers via their rental tent cabins (2) and small house. They are very busy during the day tending the lavender, so unavailable for any transportation needs to or from Horseshoe Meadows, so don’t expect them to answer the phone, but reservations for the cabins can be arranged by leaving a message.

Onion Valley trailhead:

Not busy and no activity at the Pack Station, but the creek is still flowing with a more “normal” volume. Although there is little snow up to Kearsarge, the lakes along the way are still frozen and the night time temperatures are still hovering below freezing.

Water Conditions in the KM-Cottonwood Pass region:

Creeks that would normally be flowing with good volume in this section are dry. Those that have a little water in them are not flowing and the water is pooling in stinky, stagnant puddles. Where they are flowing right now, I do not expect them to last that way for long since there is no snow to melt at their sources and few springs to feed them.

Springs are the way to go! I’ve never in my 50 years of tramping the high country had to seek out springs for my water, but on this trip I did! Use your topo map or GPS to find and locate them, but all you may discover are wonderful little 2-foot puddles at the source with a pretty meager supply that runs out “downstream” onto short marshes that soak into the ground within 20 feet. But the water is fantastic!

The Kern River through Kennedy Meadows and Monache Meadows is half of what it was last year when it dried up in July, so I expect it to dry up in June this year. Right now it is mid-shin deep at the bridge and only maybe 8 feet wide (normally up to 50 feet wide).

Carry plenty of water for each day and night. I add, “night,” because you may not have water where you expect to camp if it is at a stream or creek.

Most of the lakes are below their outflow levels already, so don’t expect moving inflows or outflows this summer!

Heat & Dehydration:

This is going to be the real issue! Do not enter the sierra without your electrolytes!

...enough for now. Just to get you started (warned) so you can plan accordingly for a hot and dry summer in the high.

Also, we saw an abundance of trash ranging from hats and jackets to TP, wrappers of all sorts, and a complete, laminated set of 20 Halfmile maps of the North Cascades (found near Gomez Meadow)! At least in the last 10 years of running this course, I have never seen any current year garbage. Usually what I’ve seen are old tin cans from too many years ago...

Remember, no fires!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential education and risk awareness training."

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Ned Tibbits" <ned at mountaineducation.org>

Please strip out replied-to text if not necessary to your reply.  Just select the unnecessary text and delete it. Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/JMT-Crib - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail. Update or view our member databases about packer-cost sharing, cell reception on the JMT, or see who else will be hiking the JMT when you do--all at http://tinyurl.com/JMT-DBs . We encourage all to join the JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar Yahoo Group, just send a blank email to:
JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Visit Your Group a.. New Members 19
 • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

.