[pct-l] 2015 Speed Record Re-attempt

Ryan Weidert ryan.weidert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:30:29 CDT 2015

Hello Everyone!
Ryan Weidert, AKA Tuna Helper here. After getting 100% ready and nearly on
trail then last year before I decided against hiking, I’d like to let my
intentions be known that this year I will be re-attempting to break the
unsupported speed record (60 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes Anish (Heather
Anderson) 2013) for hiking the entire length of the entire Pacific Crest
Trail going northbound. My plan is to do the hike in a “self-supported” and
“unassisted” style like Scott Williamson. This style means a great many
things, most of which I’ve copied directly or paraphrased from the posts
and correspondence of the current mens record holders (Scott Williamson
(Bink) and Adam Bradley (Krusmeister)). Following the precedents set in
previous 'self-supported' records, "I will not have anyone following, or
otherwise meeting me in prearranged manner to give me support. I plan to do
this hike as a backpacker, carrying all of my food, equipment, and water
between resupply towns. I will walk into supply towns to pick up mailed,
prepackaged food boxes or to purchase food, then walk back to the trail via
the same route I came in on. I will not be getting into a vehicle for any
reason during this attempt or skipping sections of trail etc." I will be on
the PCT from end to end!

In two months, my race against the clock will begin on May 25th (thank you
no snow!) as a solo hiker. My main reasons for this attempt are to test
myself (again) and too see what I am capable of finishing, the record being
the bar in which to compare myself with other awesome endurance athletes.
Having failed once after 42 days and 1860 miles, I know my goal of
completing the trail fast is achievable, especially since my goal in 2012
was sub 60 days. I’ll occasionally be in contact with family members and
relay my progress, which may be posted on Facebook or the FKT website. I am
also considering uploading updates via Instagram on my account
RevelPhotography. I am taking a GPS to have verification of my hike since I
am hiking solo and independent verification is more difficult. I want to be
as open as I can with this so there is as little possibility of ‘drama’ or
questions if I manage to succeed. My admiration for the trail and those who
hike it runs deep and I can’t wait to test myself and get dirty! I <3 the
PCT!

I should be meeting most of you near Kennedy Meadows or the early Sierras,
as thats where I caught the heard in 2012, so keep any eye out! Also, the
FKT (Fastest Known Time) website, where you can read about the history and
current speed records on the PCT is:
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/29/pacific-crest-trail-ca-wa

Cheers!,
Tuna Helper

For those who may be interested heres the link to my 2012 Attempt
blog/trail journal with my audio journals, gps tracks and LOTS of
photos/panoramas (right side link on a computer not visible on mobile
devices).  www.pctspeed.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html?m=1