[pct-l] Solar Chargers

Rick Parker rickrparker at icloud.com
Mon Mar 23 18:36:24 CDT 2015

Anker Astro E1 5200mAh will charge the iPhone 5 - 2.5 times for $2 more and about another 1.16 ounce.  So when A/C is available get 100% on the phone then the 250% on Astro.  That should give you several days if you are just occasionally getting fixes and briefly using the navigation capabilities for location and situational awareness.  The iPhone 5 (all iPhones) has a 10 day standby time.  Key is to “cache” the maps and data, turn off all apps that try to access your location. even the iPhone compass works without network connection.  Most importantly always do everything you can on Airplane Mode even emailing, or charging on the panel, photos editing and such.  When you do come off Airplane mode it will all load at once.  Movies and music will drain battery life.  And. . . you can use an iPad 10w or 12w charger to chard the Ankers so you don’t have to carry 2 charging transformers.

So as a thought, HYOH, if you were willing to get an 8 oz solar panel and a 3 oz Anker 3200, you could get a big external battery for 11, ounces and have enough power to do a lot of things Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh $29.99, 11 oz and charge iPhone 5 - 7 times.   Problem is only the 3200 comes in Pink.

My plan is to conserve battery with the 5200 on my iPhone 6, GutHooks, Halfmile, and so on. Occasional photos and text and brief phone work to plan my trip and check in with Theo (The Ole Lady).

#JustSayin'

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/ <https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/>

http://www.ianker.com <http://www.ianker.com/>

See you at the Lake.