[pct-l] Section hikers need advice re: starting north of Sonora Pass in early- or mid-May

Brian Westlander brian.westlander at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:24:26 CDT 2015

Hi All, my wife and I hiked from Campo to Sonora Pass in 2008, and we're
now planning to do another long section this year. We only have a few
months available to hike: May - July. We'd like to start as close to Sonora
Pass as possible and continue hiking north.

(1) Do any of you experienced folks know what we'll likely encounter if we
start in early- to mid-May at Sonora Pass, considering the fairly dry
winter we've had?

(2) To avoid more snow and ice, should we instead start further north?
E.g., start at Sierra City or Belden, and then come back down south later
in the season to hike the section just north of Sonora Pass.

Thanks for your help!

- Bling and Strog