[pct-l] Re, blister prevention

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 06:28:34 CDT 2015

Reinhold,

I know that you are old, but how do you know that cavemen did not get blisters? Are you THAT old?

hahaha

hm

 Subject: [pct-l] Re, blister prevention
 To: "PCT" <pct-l at backcountry.net>, "Yoshihiro Murakami" <completewalker at gmail.com>, "Hiker97 at aol.com" <Hiker97 at aol.com>
 Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 5:15 AM

 Yoshi,
 Long time no see.
 Great info on blister prevention.
 Today's society, due to centuries of foot protection, has
 developed
 soft and tender feet and skin which are susceptible to
 blisters.
 Blisters, as already mentioned, are caused by prolonged
 pressure and
 friction which causes tissue damage, and the body, to
 protect the
 damaged tissue, responds by secreting fluid to the damaged
 tissue to
 create a cushion or buffer between the pressure point and
 the already
 damaged tissue.
 Society, in a similar way, tries to prevent blisters by
 applying a
 artificial cushion or buffer, in the form of socks,
 moleskin, etc.

 Did you ever wonder why "CAVEMAN" did not have a blister
 problem?
 Simple...Caveman ran around barefooted and developed tough
 feet and
 callused skin.

 Or why a construction worker, swinging a hammer all day
 long, does
 not have a blister problem?....Same reason...tough callused
 skin.

 Or why Marine "Grunts" (Infantry), running around all day in
 stiff
 combat boots, after a few month, don't have blister
 problems?
 Same reason...tough feet and callused skin.

 That is the body's "NATURAL" way to blister prevention.

 So, it seems to me that we have 2 ways to prevent blisters.
 1. The "Artificial" way....moleskin & layers of socks.
 2. The body's "Natural" way...tough callused skin.

 How do you get tough feet and callused skin?
 Simple...join the USMC...or do like "Caveman" did.

 BTW....You ain't really "Hard Core" until you climbed
 Whitney in
 combat boots.

 Switchback claims you ain't really "Hard Core" until you
 climbed
 Whitney in "Fuzzy Pink Camp Slippers".

 JMT Reinhold
 Your trail companion who climbed Whitney in combat boots

 Yoshi wrote:
 The friction blisters are well summarized in this paper. I
 wrote my
 handbook based on this paper.

 http://www.oandp.org/publications/jop/2008/2008-19.pdf
 ​