[pct-l] PCTA statement on water caches (Jason)

Jason wright.jstuart at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 21:46:26 CST 2015

http://www.pcta.org/2015/problem-water-caches-pct-27677/

I can see where the PCTA is coming from, especially in their anticipation of ever greater numbers on the trail, but this post seems premature and raises larger questions about what the appropriate role of the PCTA should be.

On the first point, I'd say it is risky to generalize water caching as negative (except for the four deemed good). The reality is, many nobos end up counting on caching, so to impulsively attempt to remove this incultured aspect of the trail only puts them at unnecessary risk.  I understand and sympathize with the need to preserve the beauty of the PCT, but part of that beauty is the organic culture that has grown up around it and the kind hearted angels who make such a meaningful impact on its travelers.

If one wants a more solitary, less aided/cached, and perhaps in that regards more challenging experience....well, that option exists.  Go southbound.

- Jason Wright

P.S. I like the idea, mentioned in the post, of putting a few more permanent sources of water in (maybe start with the giving rather than the taking).

I don't like the idea of trail spontaneity being replaced by a central regulating agency that decides, for everybody, what is good and bad for the trail.  I do not want the PCTA moving in a direction to become such a thing, even just a step.  Such a thing, regardless of good-intentions, would be more of a danger to the PCT than any of the issues and potential problems arising from its gaining popularity and use.