[pct-l] PCTA Statement on water caches

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Mar 5 12:32:12 CST 2015

On 3/5/2015 11:06 AM, Sid Everton wrote:
> Ok, Where the trails meet the road on the PCT where these caches are,
> it is county, state or federal land. Any where I have ever lived it
> is against the law to litter on their land. From the pictures I have
> seen of these caches would be called litter!

Actually, most of the caches are set up in such a way as to minimize the
litter they cause.

> Ok, So the PCTA finds out who's land it is. Talk to the the proper
> law enforcement agency in that area and tell them PCTA concern. Now
> if they don't care then that is another story!

In some cases, where the problem of waterless stretches has been brought
to the attention of the land managers, the solution proposed by the land
manager is to establish water caches.

> So they say they don't have the resource?

Which is why they suggest water caches.

> If they still do it the PCTA could put up some kind of wireless
> security camera to get the license plate of their vehicle and
> pictures of them.

It is pretty well known who is maintaining the caches. This isn't about
trying to catch litterers. This is about discouraging well meaning
people from provided what many consider to be dubious help to hikers.

> I want to look at the other side. Who the heck are yall to tell
> people how they should give of their hearts!!!!

You really need to read a book entitled Toxic Charity.