[pct-l] Better place to zero: Truckee to Belden

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Thu Jun 18 13:27:56 CDT 2015

Speed--

Beldon is not really a city--a resort with café, lodging, and small store. And a campground up the road with café and "general store." I didn't go into the resort store but the one up the street stocked mostly candy bars and bait. Good milk shakes though. Beldon also has 'Little Haven' which was not up and running when I went through, but looked to be a very comfortable set up for thurs to relax.

Sierra City is bigger than Beldon but still small. Not too much beyond a general store/café, bar and restaurant. However, the centrally located church has a nice side yard of grass and they allow free camping. The public restroom right by the church has a cold shower available, and I found the locals very hiker friendly. Be sure to get the "gut buster" burger at the general store, but have lots of time to wait for it. Although not part of your identified criteria, it does have a PO.

Truckee is more of a city with services, coffee shops, ice cream parlors, and the usual tourist shops. You can get around on foot, and I found the people (who are not tourists) hiker friendly as well. There is definitely more to do than Sierra City or Beldon. It is about 8 miles from the Donner Summit trail head. I didn't have to hitch, but I would suggest going to the rest area that is right by the trail head and start chatting folks up.

I didn't go to Bucks so I have nothing to share on that location.

Herb