[pct-l] Backpack

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:18:51 CDT 2015

Hey Leah,

First off, are you sure you measured yourself correctly for the fit of the
Circuit?  It's a great pack, but it's got to fit right.  Chris has always
been great about exchanging them if they aren't right.  So first off, give
him a call.  He may have some suggestions.  I used the same Circuit on a
big chunk of the PCT and both the CDT and AT and it's still going strong
after a few repairs I got last year at Trail Days.

As for the Osprey, 4 lbs is a bit heavy.  I began the PCT with an Osprey
Exos which was about 2lbs back then, but unfortunately it didn't last the
desert and was falling apart before I entered the Sierra.  Too lightly made
for the water weight I carried.  I next went to the Osprey Atmos, at a
pound heavier and much more sturdily built.  It did well all the way to
Ashland.

On the way to Crater Lake, however, I put on Plain Slice's brand new
Circuit and my posture on trail immediately changed.  The mesh backing that
the Osprey's had, and which made them so comfortable, in fact shifts your
center of gravity just a bit back, forcing a person to lean forward to
balance the load.  After 1,700 miles of slightly leaning forward, with the
Circuit I immediately stood up straight.  It was much more comfortable for
my body overall.  So, I lost the lovely breathability, but gained an
upright walking posture.  We found we had cel service and I had one shipped
to Crater Lake and Chris got it to me on time.  I've never looked back and
that same pack is still on trail with me.

I just completed the Camino Frances in Spain with my wife, her first long
walk, and we both used ULA, CDTs, at about a pound and a quarter, it is
even more comfortable than my old Circuit.  My wife has a short torso and
hers fit like a glove and she loves it now after 500 miles.  Many friends
have used this pack for the PCT, CDT and AT over the years, and it's
smaller size forces you to go lighter.  And for joy on trail, lighter is
better.  Warner Springs Monty's "the fun goes up when the weight goes
down," is absolutely true.  At least for me.

Now, although I haven't hiked with anything other than a ULA since finding
them, I know there are lots of great UL packs out there, such as Joe's
ZPacks line and Gossamer Gear's and several others.  It's so personal, and
if it doesn't feel right when you're training, definitely trade out at this
point.  But always remember, you may see and try someone's pack when you're
on trail and have it shipped out to you at that point.  The gear you start
with doesn't need to be perfect.  You're body will adjust over the miles
and heck, you may find just the right bag at Kick Off.  Many people start
with one and switch out with the manufacturers who attend that event.

Good luck with pack hunting and your thru hike.  Good shoes, good pack, a
season to train and all the rest will fall into place.

Shroomer