[pct-l] continuing in Lassen

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 28 20:53:10 CDT 2015

I dayhiked the northern PCT in Lassen over July 4, and last weekend I returned to do the
southern portion, starting at Drakesbad and going to Lower Twin Lake and back, and then
to Chester-Childs Meadow Road and back, visiting Terminal Geyser.

As on July 4, the PCT is clean as a whistle, hardly a stick out of place.     Also as before,
there was an odd routing choice evident: there are three parallel routes near Boiling Lake,
and the PCT takes the least interesting with the most gratuitous elevation gain and loss.

I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but last Thursday,
not finding any motel rooms available in Chester,
I looked at the Drakesbad web page and found a cabin available for Friday and Saturday.
It's a nice rustic family resort and they accommodate through hikers fairly well for meals,
showers, and packages.

The regular rates, when you can get them, are comparable to the Yosemite High Sierra Camps.
Except there's always hot showers and a pool.