[pct-l] Section hiking in the winter

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Jul 21 22:13:49 CDT 2015

> So is it crazy to think about hiking NoBo from Campo to however far I can get in 45 days this coming Jan & Feb? Other ideas? Anyone want to come along?<

There are many parts of this section of trail that are doable in the
Winter, with a couple of provisions, especially the El Nino winter
that is coming.

First off, some of the terrain is pretty high, like the Laguna
Mountains at around mile 40, and subject to some really severe weather
during storms, even if the snow doesn't stick there for long. If you
are willing to watch the weather, and bail to lower elevations and
shelter if a storm comes, you should be able to hike from the border
to HWY 74, (mile 150) without much problem.

The area from Mt San Jacinto past Wrightwood contains many high areas
that hold snow, and those probably won't be hikeable in a typical
year.

If you skip ahead from Hwy 74 to Soledad Mtn Road at mile 435, you
should be OK to Hwy 58, at mile 560, but I wouldn't brave the Piutes
in the winter due to their elevation, and the difficulty getting out
if the weather turns bad.

That gives you 280 miles, which isn't much for 45 days, but I think
that is the best you can do, short of winter mountaineering.

HYOH and YMMV