[pct-l] Tuolumne Overrun by Thrus

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Mon Jul 20 14:39:45 CDT 2015

Try to hit the passes early rather than later due to building storm activity in the afternoon.    I got hit by the snow storm going over Muir pass with about 5 inches of snow on the ground and most of the first week of hiking I had daily hail/rain storms in the afternoon.    The weather cleared on my last 10 days or so but it seems that this is going to be a wet year in the Sierra's.    Carry the appropriate gear.

I was stopped a couple of times by rangers who checked my permit, I think the park service is cracking down on non-permit holders.  At Tuolumne meadows store I talked to a guy on the pct who said he received a $250 ticket for not carrying his permit (said he had one but not on his person).  I saw the ticket and he said he received it at or around Glen pass by a gun toting park ranger who he said acted more like a city cop then a ranger.

With all the rain the water levels were good considering the drought and lack of snow and water temps were on the higher side than usual.    Things could change quickly though if it stops raining so ask cross traffic about water ahead as some sections could become pretty dry.

Good luck and have fun the wild flowers along the trail were amazing.

Jim