[pct-l] FYI - Hiker Heaven closing

Uriah Pariah uriahpariah at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 13:33:34 CST 2015

You're not wrong at all Gary. True "trail" magic can only be found on the trail. But it is also found along its surroundings (and beyond). I will say that Donna and Jeff were enacting their altruism on the PCT long before anyone else was. They didn't even know what "trail magic" was when they started, but that very first time a light went on in Donna's head and she knew what she she meant to do (as Donna puts it). She never forced anyone into Hiker Heaven's gate or to stay there; they came because they wanted to, whether Agua Dulce had or didn't have a post office and anywhere else to send a resupply package. We cannot place "blame" on her for altering the experience to be had on the trail, be it then or today.

But I'm in full accordance with you and would generally hate to see the PCT become more and more AT-like, as it historically has been. Still, we should all be so fortunate that such kindness seems contagious.
      From: "gary_schenk at verizon.net" <gary_schenk at verizon.net>
 Subject: Re: [pct-l] FYI - Hiker Heaven closing

 The magic is on the trail. Not in some beer cooler, abandoned trailside furniture, nor in a convenient washing machine.

Everyone's heart is in the right place, truly, but the kickoff, the trail angels, the water caches are killing the trail with kindness. The trail and its "infrastructure" is being overwhelmed and it's starting to collapse. That's what this sounds like.

Reading some journals, and overhearing bits of conversation on the trail, there has lately been some hikers for whom the trail is seemingly an inconvenience, to be tolerated until arrival at the next trail town to party with their peeps. Maybe this is a necessary correction taking place. Or maybe I'm all wrong.

Curmudgeonly yours,
Gary