[pct-l] Hiker Heaven Closing its Gates

Uriah Pariah uriahpariah at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 17:52:00 CST 2015

Perhaps the timing is right, what with the expected increase in hikers. But what a sad turn of events for PCT hikers, be they thru-hikers, section hikers, weekend warriors or day hikers. Hiker Heaven took them all in, and then some. It's hard to accept that a single rotten apple spoiled it for the bunch, but indeed this seems to be the case. Donna and Jeff have dealt with bad apples before and, being hikers themselves, have always taken things in stride. But at some point you just knew someone would probably push them over the proverbial edge, especially by striking straight for the heart, which of course is an enormous target on both Donna and Jeff. My (much smaller) heart goes out to the Saufleys. May they forgive, forget and forge forward, as I'm sure they will.

As an aside, future hikers won't know what they're missing, yet those of us who've passed through may very well feel for them, as I certainly shall. Though their PCT experience will almost assuredly fall nothing short of grand, they'll miss out on meeting the most benevolent, altruistic, fun-loving, wonderful, frickin' fantastic couple they could have ever possibly met.

I imagine the "trail queen" responsible for this will--somewhere deep in the recess that is her evil, egotistical mind--feel vindicated and victorious in her deeds, knowing she was the one who "took down" Hiker Heaven. But I also imagine karma will catch up to her, no matter how fast or far she hikes. Demons often hike hand-in-hand with the demonic.