[pct-l] Sierra Snow Report...Good News & Bad News

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Jan 22 17:42:50 CST 2015

High gang,
Trouble is back in town!!!
That, of course, is good news for the girls but bad news for the guys.
Got back from a solid week of high powered skiing in the Sierra at
Mammoth Mountain.

When the white stuff starts falling from the sky I hang up my hiking gear
and dig out my skis.

Aaahhh, with the JMT at my feet and Banner, Ritter, and the Minarets in
the background.....it's a sight that is hard to beat....except, perhaps,
"SWITCHBACK" in the morning.

Well, anyhow, Mammoth Mountain, which is pretty much in the center of
the Sierra and consistently gets above Sierra average Snow fall has
received
only 77" of snow so far, which is less than half of the average for this
time of
the year.
I have been skiing the Sierra for about 35 years and can't recall ever
seeing
less snow this time of the year.
It seems the storms that brought above average precipitation to Southern
California earlier this year have not done much for the Sierra.

This, of course, is "Good News" for "Hiker Trash" like you, but "Bad News"
for "Ski Bums" like me.

Just in case you guys did not know this, skiing is great way to keep the
legs
in good hiking shape during the off-hiking season.
You'd be surprised how rubbery your legs feel after a week of high powered
skiing.

Say Switchback, the other good news,...    I did not go down once.
That is undeniable, indisputable proof that I get better with age.
Some things do get better with age.
YES,....I may be one of those "Rare Gems" that get better with age.

I am so exited about this, I can't sleep,....knowing I will be better
tomorrow
than I am  today.

JMT Reinhold
Your exited trail companion who gets better every day.

---