[pct-l] Lifestraw

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Wed Jan 14 20:13:22 CST 2015

Hi. I bought a lifestraw a couple of years ago.  I've used it on weekend hikes out east here and it works well enough on water which is fairly clear such as  from creeks and streams.  Yes, you can use it as you describe, or even lying on your stomach alongside the water source and drinking directly therefrom.  I forget how many liters it's rated at, so I don't know how long it would last on a thru hike.  It will certainly filter out crypto and giardia, so no problem there.

 Like other filters, it won't filter out nasty chemicals.  And like all filters, you need to be careful not to let it freeze since that may well compromise it's integrity.  It probably won't work as part of a gravity feed like the Sawyer filter does.  And I'm unsure whether it can be back-flushed to clear debris it traps.  I'd have to go back to the website and read up on that.  But you'll end up carrying several liters of unfiltered water between distant water sources, particularly in SoCal and other sections as you go north.  But it would seem to save you time from filtering your water each time at a water source.  Perhaps others could point out other things. Last summer on the PCT I used the sawyer mini and carried aquamira as a backup.

Sent from my iPad