[pct-l] Restrictions on alcohol stoves

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Jan 10 13:49:58 CST 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Douglas Tow <douglastow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recent low-water years have seen many restrictions on the use of alcohol
> stoves.  The restrictions typically state that only stoves with instant
> on/off valves are permissible, leaving most alcohols stoves out in the
> cold, as it were.

Fire restrictions are a patchwork of regulations depending on which
agency regulates the land. These regulations change depending on the
fire conditions.

One of the USFS restrictions is sometimes "only stoves with an on/off
valve." Another is "no open flame at all outside of a building" and
this one even prohibits canister stoves.

Last year the PCTA erred when they said that the BLM restrictions in
the SoCal section of the trail prohibited Alky stoves. The rule was
poorly written and list members asked for clarification from the BLM
and finally got it

The bottom line is that fire can be dangerous, and that the only way
to be sure of the fire regs in a dry year is to go stoveless.

I'm not sure why stoves seems to have reached the passion level of
religion or politics, but they have.

Be safe, and HYOH.