[pct-l] Greg "Strider" Hummel's 1977 PCT thru hike journal

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:25:37 CST 2015

As a tribute to honor the man, it seems fitting to know him via his own words.
Here’s the link to Strider’s journal regarding hiking the PCT back in 1977.
http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=8372

My words (PYW) are below
(I only mention this to avoid confusion as to whom is being represented by the written word).

1977 ...
I think that was back in the day when the trail was still being patched together,
unlike the veritable freeway of today,
(which is in and of itself a compliment to the builders and maintainers of the trail).

Meaning?
Back then one likely associated the words -a blaze- or -blazing the trail- on a whole other level.

Example?
Having hiked the trail the last three years from Mexico to as far north as Sonora Pass...
and accumulating about 2,200 miles in total,
there has not been either snow or water fording impediments
OF – ANY - KIND.
Put another way;
one could literally follow the trail sans a compass or maps.
I kid you not.

On attending the 2012 ADZPCTKO as a rookie hiker;
and with a lifetime hiking resume of exactly three days in the Grand Canyon
(as a spry young man of 15 years old) ,
the kick off was as MAGICAL an experience as any I’ve ever been privileged to participate in.

THANK YOU GREG “STRIDER” HUMMEL
(and a tremendous thank you to all of the other kickoff organizers/helpers, past and present.

SALUTE!

PaintYW