[pct-l] Strider (Greg Hummel) has passed on

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 3 10:36:17 CST 2015

Good morning, and Happy New Year,

Reflecting on Strider’s passing I was reminded of the ALDHA-West annual
Gathering several years ago when he was the group’s president.  The
Gathering that year was at Wemme, Oregon, about 10 miles from my home so I
met Strider at the Portland airport and he spent the night with us.  In a
previous discussion he said he had always wanted to revisit Eagle Creek –
not seen again since his ’77 thru-hike – but he had to be at the lodge in
Wemme around noon to help get things started.

We set early alarms, and were on the road by 4 AM for the hour-long drive
to the trailhead and a 15-mle speed hike up to Tunnel Falls and back.  Daylight
is in short supply at that time of year – particularly in that very narrow,
north/south orientated, 4,000-deep canyon -- so we hiked about an hour in
the dark; arriving at the first fondly-remembered site, Punchbowl Falls,
with barley enough early light to see.

Continuing, we visited Tunnel Falls, and the next slick-water falls
upstream, before heading back to the car.  After another hour’s drive to
Wemme we arrived at the lodge at noon.  That was a good warm-up for a
hiker’s Gathering.

It’s easy for us to put off revisiting cherished sites such as Eagle Creek
– after all they'll always be there – but the problem is, *we *won’t always
be *here*.  I’m glad he could scratch that item off his “bucket list” while
Strider was still striding.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/