[pct-l] Permit

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Feb 25 19:00:46 CST 2015

> I have my PCT thruhike permit for 24-4, but I want to start on 21-4 and hike one day to kick off on the 22. Can I do that? Do I need a day permit?

No you don't need a day permit. You only need a permit for camping in
"wilderness areas, National Parks and other special management areas."

The fist wilderness area you enter is the San Jancinto State
wilderness area at north of HWY 74 at about mile 150. This one is a
little different than most because you actually need a permit for day
use, not just for camping. It is my understanding the Mountain Fire
detour takes you around this wilderness area anyway.

After San Jacinto, I believe the next place that a permit is required
is Trout Lake Wilderness north of Kennedy Meadows.

Note for nit pickers: the PCT does pass through a corner of the Hauser
Wilderness Area (less that a mile) as you climb out of Hauser Canyon.
Due to the terrain, I seriously doubt anyone would even consider
camping in this short stretch of trail.

From
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/pct/home/?cid=stelprdb5310782

Is a permit needed to travel on the trail?
Many of the wilderness areas, National Parks and other special
management areas require an overnight use permit. Please check with
the local area to determine if a permit is needed and where it can be
obtained. Persons undertaking a trip of 500 miles or longer should
contact the Pacific Crest Trail Association for a permit.