[pct-l] Blister Prevention....a simple solution to a complex problem

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Feb 23 16:21:26 CST 2015

Yes Highchair good advice,
Long distance hiking also will toughen the feet and skin and develop
calluses which in turn reduce the probability of blisters.
The only problem,.....you may be in Canada by the time your feet and
skin get "Caveman" tough and calloused.

Therefore it is a good idea to get your feet "Caveman" tough before
you start your hike by walking and running barefooted, especially at
the beach or sandy trails because as the foot sinks and moves in the
sand, the sand will, like sand paper, sort of rub or sand all parts
of the foot not just the bottom sole, like on a hard surface.

Also, although I do not shave when back packing, I always carry a
razor blade in my emergency kit.
Those razor blades, which weigh next to nothing, can be extremely
handy for removing thorns, trimming toe nails, making fine critical
cuts in flesh, cloth, or whatever, when a knife may not be sharp
enough or to cumbersome.
And yes, I also use it to shave down my callouses, when they get to
thick.....much faster than sanding them.

Yup,....I count the razor blade as one of my essentials and, like
the map & compass, will not set foot in the wilderness without them.

JMT Reinhold
Your razor blade strapping trail companion.
Highchair wrote:
Silk sock liners and smart wool worked for me.
Hike as many miles as you can in your intended foot wear and socks
to build up calluses where needed.
Then, never, repeat never put vaseline on a callus.
They soften within hours and will blister on day 1.
Build up calluses and sand them down if they get too big.

My 2 cents
Highchair
JMT Reinhold wrote:
Yes Gorgeous Switchback,
You are one "gorgeous looking hunk" and all the grubby, smelly
"thru hiker trash" is so jealous of you.

JMT Reinhold
Gorgeous Switchback wrote:
That was back in my hardcore trail days.
Now I am just carried on a litter along the trail to Canada.
My skin is silky soft and perfumed.
That is why I am known as Gorgeous Switchback the Dandy......
JMT Reinhold wrote:
Lately there has been much talk about blister prevention and the
causes of blisters.....shoes, socks, moisture, heat, pressure,
friction, etc., etc., etc.
All contributing factors, but nobody mentioned the primary factor
or cause of blisters..."tender skin".

Did you guys ever wonder why "Caveman" never got blisters?
Simple....he ran around barefooted and got his feet and skin
really tough.

Or why  a construction worker, swinging a hammer all day long,
does not get blisters and a woman, with soft, tender hands would
get blisters?
Simple..the construction worker developed tough skin on his hands.

Or why Marines, running around all day, with full battle gear,
wearing solid leather combat boots without soft inner padding or
soft inner soles,....just sock against thick leather and steel
mesh inner soles to protect the foot against booby traps, don't
get blisters?
Simple....Marines take the caveman approach...."once feet and skin
get good and tough, feet will blister no more".
A "Simple Solution to a Complex Problem".

I never get blisters....WHY?....because my feet are caveman tough.

So how do I get my feet caveman tough, you ask?
Simple join the USMC like I did or do like I did when I was a kid.
We used to run around barefooted, play socker bare footed, climb
trees bare footed etc., etc., etc.

The point I am trying to make is that "the tougher your feet and
skin, the lower the probability of you developing blisters.
BTW....running around barefooted, especially at the beach is a great
way of toughing up your feet and skin.

Or you can do like Switchback,...wear six pairs of silky socks and
fluffy, pink camp slippers and look ever so lovely.

JMT Reinhold
Your blister free trail companion

---