[pct-l] Trail Gear - Pole Tips

Robert Henry rrh.henry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:18:19 CST 2015

My experience with Leki's was essentially identical.  Bring water to boil,
put pole tip into water.  Wait a bit.  Use some rope/parachute
cord/strapping to quickly wrap around the hot wet plastic, and twist like
mad.  It works best with 2 people counter rotating and pulling.  The
plastic is supposedly a thermo-plastic which will expand when hot.  I had
to field replace the pole tips 2 times in 2012, and after some angst about
how to do it, it proved to be very simple, and I didn't actually have to
use the pliers in my wife's car the first time I did it in Tahoe:)  The
pole tips themselves are Tungsten/Carbide so effectively don't wear out,
but the adhesive and mechanicals that hold the tungsten carbide into the
plastic wear out, and you'll lose the tip proper.