[pct-l] Trail Gear - Pole Tips

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Tue Feb 10 21:08:26 CST 2015

We hike with old ski poles with Leki tips added.  We carry spare tips.
Ray has replaced them in the field several times, by carving off the old
tip (the plastic part) and hammering on the new ones with whatever is
available.  He found a picnic table very handy for this operation on one
occasion.
Why old ski poles, you may ask?  I hike with llamas and they frequently
step on my poles.  They haven't been able to break my ski poles. I would
be so pissed if they broke a hundred dollar trekking pole, and besides,
I can't hike without my poles because I have bad knees.  So I need
durable poles.