[pct-l] Trail Gear

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Tue Feb 10 16:53:31 CST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Pct-L [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Brian Watt
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:34 AM
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Trail Gear

Leah Katherine,

Interesting thanks

Those pole tips blew my mind.   I think the tips are usually made of tungsten carbide so that's a lot of wear.

Jim

The following items wore/broke/fell-apart out on the trail for me this past year.
* Shoes - used 5 pair of Brooks Cascadias.
* Socks - used 10 pair on Injinji Liner toe socks.
* Clothing - replaced shirt and pants midway, they both had holes and were frayed.
* Sawyer Mini water filter - filter slowed way down over time, e.g. it took 6-7 minutes for 1L, replaced with regular sized Sawyer Squeeze at Timberline.
* Sawyer Mini squeezeable bottle - rips near top, replaced twice (about every 400 miles) until I switched to a Pepsi/Desani rigid plastic soda bottle as dirty bottle.
* Hiking Pole tips - replaced tips twice for each pole. See:
http://www.1fifoto.com/hiking/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_1088.jpg