[pct-l] hiker limits

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sun Feb 8 22:45:56 CST 2015

> Does everyone who hikes the PCT get a PCTA permit ?? Curious how they are
> going to enforce the 50 a day limit.

I think this is more of a "lets encourage people to do this
voluntarily" program, and I think that the idea is really good.

The way the regulations are set up now, there is no permit needed for
the first 150 miles of the trail, till you hit San Jacinto, and with
the Mountain Fire closure, I think you actually have to go around the
area that requires a permit (could someone familiar with the borders
of the wilderness area and the closure confirm this)

So I don't think you really need a permit till you hit the Southern
Sierra, unless I'm forgetting some other wilderness area. Since
permits are not required till well into the trip, here is no
enforcement mechanism till you reach an area that actually requires
permits. That being said, the idea is a really good one.