[pct-l] Tehachapi trail angels?

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:02:01 CST 2015

Jim-

In 2012,
I hiked into Tehachapi,
discovering a laminated trail angel list atop a picnic table just south of the first TH (Willow Springs Rd.)
At the TH (NOBO) were one or two plastic tub water caches where the same list had been inserted.
There were about 18 people on this list.
Also,
the Tehachapi Municipal Airport was mentioned as a point of refuge.
I hitchhiked into town,
then walked about 3 miles to the airport.
There is a grass area with trees and water,
a barbeque pit,
electricity and a handicap suited outhouse for hikers at $5 a night.
Also,
the pilot’s lounge has a full kitchen,
there is internet access and a restroom with a shower.
Plus,
a side by side refrigerator freezer,
stocked with drinks,
and a deep freeze loaded with various ice cream/popsicle type desserts.
A Keurig coffee maker rounds out the perks.
There’s even recliners and cable TV,
plus a dining table with chairs.
and last but not least air conditioning.
They are hiker friendly.
If you search here in the archives,
I believe at one time I posted the trail angel list,
as I took detailed notes when there.

Tom and Gaston,
are the manager and assistant manager respectively.
Tom used to be a corporate jet pilot and flew the late comedian George Carlin around the world to his shows.
Tom told me a cool anecdotal story about this gig.
George Carlin would put Tom and the copilot in the front row of his shows,
then on the subsequent flight,
ask their opinions about the show.
He would also run jokes by them.
After the last show, according to Tom,
George gave each pilot a roll of money for a tip. It turned out to be $10,000 each.

By the way,
there is a second hiker friendly (glider) airport closer to the trailhead,
and on the way into Tehachapi,
off of Willow Springs Rd. (and to the west.)
This airport is also hiker friendly, and is set up for RVers’ to camp/stay there,
so they too have the usual and customary facilities aimed at vagabonds and road warriors.
It’s a grass strip as I understand it,
but I have not been there personally to corroborate what’s been told to me.

FWIW: I stayed at the airport in 2012,
and again in 2014 for about 10 days each time. lol.
I had giardia in 2014.
The reason I take so many zeros you ask?
Because it’s so darn fun in town and the last I heard,
Canada isn’t moving!
As an FYI- the USAF sends many of their pilots there for the glider training.

Mojave has the Spaceport,
wherein they are working on putting paying customers into space.
When hiking in this area,
expect to see some exotic aircraft in flight,
to include military assets from Edwards AFB.
You might see a bear or two,
if your lucky.
Oh yeah,
you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the unexpected.
You might see an eagle or two as well.
The trail doth give.
Carry lots of water.
Seriously.

McIver’s spring sucks.
Golden Oak spring will probably suck too.
The water caches that Mary Barcik maintained,
God bless that 80 year old woman,
at Kelso Valley RD.,
and Bird Spring Pass,
may no longer be there,
or maintained like she did,
God bless that woman again!

The Tehachapi Chamber of Commerce might have the trail angel list.
I would call them if you don’t find the list I posted here either in 2012 or 2013.

At your service,
and humbling serving humanity since 2012,
PaintYW