[pct-l] Phone charging

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:56:39 CST 2015

I used Shroomer's exact strategy for the PCT last year.  I carried 2 extra batteries for my Android phone, but never used up more than one spare, even in the Sierras during 7 day stints.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and left it in Airplane Mode except for once or twice a day in locations where I felt I might get cell reception.  (You get pretty good at predicting those after a while.)  The GPS on my Samsung phone worked even in Airplane mode, so I was able to use the Halfmile or Guthook app on demand.  (On iPhones, you must take it out of Airplane mode to use the GPS.)  I looked at Halfmile maps on screen; I listened to a lot of tunes during the day;  I blogged at night.  I had had no problems with battery life and recharged in town stops.  I found this an easier and lighter weight strategy than carrying a solar charger.  It worked well for me, but everyone has different needs...

Timberline