[pct-l] Stehekin Fire Detour

Rob Langsdorf sdscpcts at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 15:42:41 CDT 2015

Last week "Man, Bear, Pig" hiked up to Suiattle Pass and then to Lyman Lake and then took a cross country route through Spider Gap and down to a trail head on Phelps Creek. From there he got a ride down Chiwawa River road to 207 and down to US 2. From there he got a ride to Chilan and took the boat to Stehekin.
I had talked to him near the Suiattle River junction on one afternoon. When I hiked from the Bridge Creek Trail Head down to the Fireweed trail junction 3 days later I ran into Blue Feather, who said that "Man Bear Pig" had already picked up his supplies at Stehekin and had already passed Rainy Pass. So it might be worthwhile to check out this route as an option to get to Stehekin.
I hope that they are able to get the Blankenship fire out enough to allow PCT hikers to just hike through. But this other option might work for others, who are skilled at cross country travel, to get to Stehekin.
                    Rob