[pct-l] Gear Recommendation (Traction Devices vs Snow Shoes)

Scott Diamond scott.diamond.mail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:48:38 CDT 2015

I'm planning for 2016 and I'm trying to decide on crampons/traction devices

As Ned notes below, it seems to me the high end is Kahtoola KTS Crampon
<https://kahtoola.com/product/kts-aluminum-hiking-crampon/> ($149 18.9
Oz/540g). High but also somewhat heavy at 18.9 Oz. With those and a Whippet
<http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-poles/whippet-ski-pole-BD1115420000ALL1.html>,
I’m sure I’d be secure.

The next option which many hikers seem to use are the Micro spikes.
Either Kahtoola
Microspikes <https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/> ($70 13.1  Oz/371g)
or Hillsound trail crampons
<http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/> ($60, 17.6 Oz/500g).

There are some lighter options out there. Instep crampons like ​Ruta Locura
Instep Crampon <http://rutalocura.com/crampon.html> ($25 7.6 oz) are pretty
intriguing given low weight and finally at the bottom of the scale are Vargo
Titanium Cleats
<http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-pocket-cleats.html#.VULEIk10yHs> ($69
3.8 oz/107g). 3.8 Oz, wow!  I have to say I’m really intrigued by these
lighter options. I could carry those in my pack all the way up to Canada
and not notice them. But do they work?

I guess there isn’t one right answer, but does anyone think I could get
away with some of the lighter options. Would it make sense to use Kahtoola
crampon from Kennedy Meadow and then switch to something lighter in a
couple of hundred miles? Mail several options to Kennedy Meadow and decide
there?

Thanks, Scott