[pct-l] Bear Bagging Etiquette

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Mon Apr 20 22:49:38 CDT 2015

Andrew,
I finished my 8-year section hike of the PCT last summer. I did use a
bear canister where required in the Sierra, but otherwise always slept
with all my food and other smelly items (including lip balm, sunscreen
and toothpaste) in an Odor-Proof Sak. I put the OPSak in a light stuff
sack, and every single night put that inside my pack and slept with my
feet up on my pack. I never had any indication of any sort of creatures
trying to get at my food at all, whether I slept in my tent or under the
stars. And in OR last summer I did camp several times with other people
who had mice chew into their tents to get things like candy wrappers,
while I was left alone. So I swear by my OPSak.

Rock-Kicker