[pct-l] Camping at Campo (Trouble)

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Mon Apr 6 19:27:04 CDT 2015

I agree.  Mooning the BP is rather juvenile, tho it's possible that the officer who was doing the scoping might have just laughed.  But when you're in remote locales, it's not exactly a smart idea to take a chance and annoy the only law enforcement for miles in any direction. Nothing to prevent them from dumping your gear in the dirt to ensure you don't have any weed.  No, no.   Not wise to bring attraction to yourself in such childish manner.

I've worked with the Justice Dept in immigration for the past 28 years.  While not my area of expertise, I've ridden with the CBP on day and night patrols just south of San Diego, tho not around Campo. I can safely say that NOBOS hiking the trail during the day bring little attention from the CBP.   PCT hikers don't exactly fit the description of illegal aliens.  In that sector the vast majority of action comes after dark when fence jumpers are more frequent.  But as most hikers see, the CBP is rather thick on the ground and in the air between Campo and well past Moreno.

I set out from Campo exactly one year ago today.  I, too, saw several CBP ATVs and 4-wheelers, and helicopters.  Any eyeballing of hikers by them is mostly enjoying the parade of hikers, not that they are suspicious.  It's a good idea to not camp adjacent to the border because it's possible aliens could come tramping close by after dark.  If so, the feds won't be far behind.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect there are strategically placed listening devices set along the trail up to several miles from the border.  Only at night would any signal along the trail attract CBP attention since most hikers are bedded down, and all but the most simple-minded alien would attempt to use the trail during the day.

Anyway,  anyone who wants to camp near Campo should drop in at the CBP office right there off the trail and ask for advice.  Be nice and they'll be nice back.
walt

Sent from my iPad