[pct-l] to trail by train

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Sat Sep 20 12:02:29 CDT 2014

I agree,  I am a new convert for train to trail hikes---I just hiked
the CDT from Cumbres Pass about 150 miles to where the Colorado Trail
veers off the CDT east of Elk Park. I took the Cumbres Toltec narrow
gauge train to  Cumbres Pass and the CDT was a 5 minute walk away. I
flagged down the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge in Elk Park at the end
of the hike (I hiked 9 miles west off the CDT onto the CT) into
Durango and flew home from Durango. It was one of the most fun trips I
have ever done. My journal is at www.postholer.com/fireweed.

--fireweed