[pct-l] It's map AND compass

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Mon Sep 8 14:41:15 CDT 2014

A compass can also be used as a simple way to stay on course and avoid battery drain of your GPS. For instance, suppose you are heading cross-country to a particular lake or to intersect a trail and have determined your direction of travel with a GPS device. Set the compass to the direction of travel and start walking. You can easily confirm you are on course with the compass, and avoid draining the batteries by constantly checking the GPS.

Of course it is still important to learn how to determine one's location with a compass by triangulation. I had my phone/GPS in my rain jacket during a storm and the pocket leaked. Although I was able to dry out the phone and it worked again, for a while it was wankers. It just does not take much to disable electronics.

Herb